Saturday, February 20, 2010

Please Help Megan!!!














My best friend Megan was in a car accident on Wednesday night. The accident was at about 1600 N on I-15 northbound at about 8pm. She was headed to her sister’s house. From what I understand, she drifted to the right then over-corrected. At this point we are not sure what caused her to drift over to the right. The car rolled 4-7 times and then hit the cement barrier. Her little baby boy, Dayton, was in the car with her. He is 17 months old. By the grace of God, Dayton came away without a scratch. The car was completely smashed accept for the small area where Dayton was sitting. When the highway patrolman arrived on the scene, Dayton was just sitting in the car patiently, not even crying. Megan on the other hand, was not so lucky. She was life-flighted to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center and is currently in the ICU. Her most serious injury was a fractured skull and some hemorrhaging (bleeding) of the brain. They will be keeping her sedated over the next few days to make sure there is no additional swelling of the brain. She also has some broken bones in her hand, wrists, a few fractures in her face, and some lacerations on her forehead and scalp. She does have some nerve damage in her face but we don’t know at this point how much this will affect her. I know there are a lot of you that would like to receive updates on her condition. Her brother Jordan will be posting any updates on his blog which is jordanandlindsay-smith.blogspot.com.

I know there are so many people that are praying for Megan's recovery and want to do whatever they can to help. I have received many phone calls, text messages, and comments from people that love her and care about her. When I have gone to see her I have tried my best to communicate this to her so she knows that so many people are rooting for her. As I'm sure you can imagine, the medical bills are going to be horrendous. She was life-flighted, she will be spending at least a week if not more in the ICU, having multiple surgeries, rehabilitation, etc. The financial stress is going to be extremely overwhelming for Megan and her family and I would like to try and help relieve this as much as possible. We opened an account today at America First Credit Union. It is called the Megan Smith Hansen Charitable Account. You can make a donation at any America First branch. Any donations would be tremendously appreciated by Megan and all of her loved ones.

Megan has made some considerable progress. She has been opening her eyes and looking directly at her family members. She has been listening to commands and responding by nodding her head and squeezing the hands of her family. She had surgery on her left wrist this morning and at some point today they hope to take her off of the ventilator. I think today should be a big day and we should hopefully receive some answers on the extent of her brain injuries. Her mom, Dana, arrived from the Marshall Islands where she and Brad are serving a mission. I think it will help Megan a lot to have her mom there and will hopefully aid in her progress.

3 comments:

Grandma Peggy said...

Hayley, I'm so sad to hear about Megan. She will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers and I will keep her name on the prayer roll at the temple. When I get home I will send a donation for the family. I can't imagine the heartache you feel for one of your dear friends. I have a friend in the Church whom I have known for a long time. Many years ago she asked people at church to please pray for her brother in Arizona who had been badly burned in a boating accident. I still remember his name today. He was/is not a member but my friend told him that many people where praying for him. I remember our little family praying for him every night and for a long time. At one point my friend told me that he had told her that he could feel the prayers of all who were praying for him. I'm sure this will be the case with Megan and give her much comfort and strength.

I love you, Hayley. It's been so long since I've called or written to you or checked your blog or facebook. I'm sorry that I've been such a sloth -- YOU you are very dear and important to me.

Peggy :)

The Robinson's said...

Hayley, i am so sorry about Megan! i have been so sick ever since i heard... i can't even imagine! i heard she is making progress though, that is great! i just want you to know you guys are all in my prayers!

Suzy Hunter said...

I saw Kristie at the gym this morning and it brought all of those scary times back as well. Boy you never know what life is going to throw at you! We are praying for Megan and will do anything we can! What a good friend you are!